Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Muffins My Way

I'm going bananas... muffin craze these last 2 days. Bought one 'sikat' of pisang berangan but found out it tasted a little sour, so bought another 'sikat' of pisang emas. Then, I found out that 100g banana needed for most recipes equals to only about 2 bananas.


This is my favorite (so far) 'banana carrot apple walnut' muffin. Will be making more mufins definitely, no problem to finish them, it's school holidays, many hungry tummies in the house now. Sorry, I couldn't trace the original recipe (had to cleared my IE history/cookies etc.. a while ago due to slow loading). Anyway, this is my version
100g flour
20g wholewheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
50g sugar
80ml corn oil
50g grated carrots
50g ready made apple pie filling
50g walnuts
100g bananas, mashed
1 egg

Mix all the dry ingredient by shaking in a ziplock bag or a stirring in a bowl.
Whisk the egg a little bit, add the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Add the dry ingredient. Spoon into muffin liners. Bake at 160C for 30 mins.

This reminds me so much of the muffins I used to have in US after delivering Sunday morning papers with my hubby.

I still remember the loads of newspaper and the ads insert that we had to fold and put in the plastic bags during those cold winter mornings. I still remember at the last house on our delivery round, we would go 'wan tu som' (don't know what the word mean, one two some maybe, the game is like rock paper scissors)..... to choose who had to get out of the car to throw the last newspaper. The owner had 4 rottweilers who would faithfully wait for us every morning, and as soon as one of us got out all 4 will stand up and just stare at me (yeah, I'm the one who always had to do this, since I was on the right side of the car, closest to the curb). I could see these beasts' master standing inside the house, in his robe and holding a cup of whatever brew, waiting for his morning paper. And... as soon as I made the throw, all 4 beasts will sprung into action and chased me to the car. My hubby will then sped off and I would be uttering all the bad words and trembling at the same time.

Our next stop, the Donut Bank. I'd get 2 cups of hot cocoa, two banana muffins and some cherry-filled danish rolls for hubby. Then we would just laugh at that morning's experience on our way home to our little apartment (I bet the beasts and his master had bigger laughs tormenting us). Remember how we wish to open up a bakery just because he loved those cherry danish rolls so much and thought he couldn't get it in M'sia (which until today, we actually never did) Throughout the whole morning excitement, our baby would be sleeping in his seat at the back. Life was so simple then......

0 comments: